Your Health Loves Summer!
Welcome summer! Here are my top 10 reasons to love summer…
- Vitamin D ~ deficiency of this important vitamin may be the reason you feel SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) during the winter months. Vitamin D enhances immunity, supports gut integrity and builds strong bones, to name just a few of its vital functions. Our primary source of vitamin D is the sun, small amounts are found in cod liver oil, oily fish, liver and eggs. Check out my Hello Sunshine Tonic.
- Summer produce ~ summer fruit is hydrating, and full of vitamin C, antioxidants and fibre. Enjoy berries, cherries and stone fruit while they are at their peak. Make fruit salads, fruit platters and fruit kebabs as fun ways include fruit into your daily diet.
- Juices and smoothies ~ delicious way to hydrate and supply the body with a concentrated source of nutrients. Use vegetables as the base, add fruit to sweeten and include protein to feel fuller for longer and preserve muscle.
- Mocktails ~ cheers to summer with a health-promoting virgin mojito! Make with lime juice, honey, mint leaves, sparkling water and ice.
- Detox ~ there is no excuse not to cleanse the body after Christmas and New Year. The liver is the second largest organ in the body (after the skin) and has the important job of detoxing our body. Milk thistle and Globe artichoke are two of the most beneficial herbs to support the liver’s natural detoxification processes. Check out my Liver Detox Tonic which contains both of these detoxing Herbal Medicines.
- Sweat ~ our body’s way of detoxing and maintaining our body temperature in the heat of summer. Water and electrolytes are required for optimal hydration. Sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium are essential minerals and electrolytes.
- Sea water ~ salt in sea water naturally dries and exfoliates the skin, which improves acne and wound healing. Interestingly, sea water does not have to touch your face to improve acne. Simply stand or walk along the beach with your feet in the water to reap the benefits. Minerals from sea water are highly absorpable through the soles of the feet.
- Earthing ~ summer is the most appealing time of year to get in touch with the earth. Touching the earth with bare feet supplies the body with electrons which is thought to lower stress, reduce inflammation, boost the immune system, and sync our circadian rhythm, which improves sleep.
- Motivation to get in shape ~ if you need a reason to finally take action on your health and fitness goals, summer is the season. Get active outdoors with a buddy and tick multiple points off this list in one adventure… vitamin D from the sun, eat summer fruit, drink a juice/smoothie, sweat in the heat, go to the beach to swim in the sea and earth in nature, all in one day!
- Rejuvenate ~ the majority of us have time off over Christmas and New Year to recover from a busy year. Set some time aside to set your goals for the new year. You may like to set a goal for 5 important areas in your life e.g. Personal, Physical, Financial, Career and Educational. Choose the areas that resonate with you.
Fun fact! Antioxidants, namely anthocyanins, in our skin act as natural sunscreen by offering mild protection against UV rays. Eat a range of blue and purple fruits in summer. Mother nature got it right, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and cherries are in season in summer.
Enjoy summer, Liv