It’s not a typo. I recommend jelly for dessert, daily! Not Jelly Tips or jelly and ice-cream (unless it’s coconut nice-cream!). Jelly is simply made from gelatin and 100% fruit juice. All the goodness comes from gelatin! Gelatin is made by boiling animal bones, cartilage and skin to extract the collagen. Collagen is an important protein that connects muscles, bones and skin in animals and humans. Gelatin boasts all the same health benefits as collagen as they contain the same amino acids. Top 10 reasons to incorporate gelatin into your daily diet:
- Gelatin is almost 98-99% protein. The amino acids in gelatin and collagen make up about 30% of the proteins in our body. Protein is required for bones, muscles, skin, hair, nails, hormones, blood cells etc.
- It’s versatile, flavourless and can be used in place of protein powder. I use gelatin in my shakes either instead of, or additionally to protein powder. I highly recommend gelatin for athletes for recovery, muscle growth/maintenance, and strong joints, as athletes put a lot more stress on their joints than the average person.
- Gelatin contains amino acids that promote healthy digestion. It is especially beneficial for leaky gut as it provides our gut cells with the nourishment it needs to repair itself. Leaky gut is associated with food intolerance/allergies, autoimmune diseases and multiple health conditions.
- Gelatin is anti-aging. Gelatin and collagen give our body the protein it needs to maintain skin elasticity and prevent wrinkles. Hence why it is marketed as a beauty food.
- The proteins in gelatin and collagen support joint pain/inflammation, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis and injury recovery, by promoting the regeneration of cartilage, ligaments and tendons.
- Gelatin is an easy substitute for bone broth. They contain the same amino acids but it saves you the time and labour boiling bones for days (not to mention the smell), or the expense buying pre-made bone broth.
- The protein content helps you feel fuller for longer similarly to other high-protein foods. Gelatin can help weight loss/management while suppressing hunger hormones.
- Gelatin makes jelly but collagen doesn’t. This is because gelatin powder dissolves in water whereas collagen powder doesn’t. Therefore, gelatin is easier to incorporate into your diet, while collagen is more practical in supplement form.
- Today’s diet neglects the “head-to-tail’ approach of eating. The diet of our ancestors, and even traditional diets that still exist outside of the Western World, naturally contain gelatin. However, most people only eat muscle meats which lack the vital amino acids that provide this long list of health benefits.
- Jelly is delicious and easy to eat. Different flavours of fruit juice can be used to create different flavours of jelly. My favourite jelly flavours are blackcurrant, pomegranate and any kind of berry, they also make an amazing purple colour. I keep squares of jelly in the fridge so every time I go to the fridge to get something to eat, I also grab a piece of jelly (that adds up to a lot every day!). I use Great Lakes Gelatin.
Check out my Blogs ~ Leaky Gut – a Personal Experience & Natural Treatment