Top 10 Tips…
- Water is the cheapest and healthiest drink – add berries, citrus fruits or mint to naturally flavour water, instead of sugar-laden soft drinks.
- Eat your salad or vegetables first – fill your stomach with goodness first, you’re more likely to eat vegetables at the beginning than the end.
- Avoid white carbs – white bread, white rice and white pasta offer no nutritional benefit to the body, unless they’re cold (resistant starch).
- Skip the filler foods like bread – filler foods include all processed carbs e.g. bread, rice, pasta, potatoes and flour products.
- Choose brown rice instead of white rice sushi – at least you’re getting more B vitamins, manganese, fibre and other nutrients.
- Deep fried foods contain the worst types of fats – trans/hydrogenated fats are linked to heart disease, high cholesterol and inflammation.
- Olive oil-based dressings rather than creamy dressings – olive oil reduces cholesterol, visceral fat, and supports heart health.
- Almond/coconut milk hot drinks instead of regular milk – cows milk has growth hormones which interrupt our endocrine (hormone) system.
- Stick to one course (not dessert!) – bought food is usually more calorie dense than homemade food as fat is flavour.
- Remember your ratios: at least 50% vegetables, 25% protein and 25% or less carbs – order a side of salad or vegies instead of bread or potatoes.
Yes eating out can be healthy!
Check out my Blog ~ Healthy Meal and Snack Ideas